- digital DSLR camera (body)
- aluminum foil
- duct tape
So today I decided to make digital camera obscura with my camera. It’s not the real thing but it’s “digital version” of this invention.
1. THINGS YOU NEED
2. PUT YOUR LENS OFF AND COVER THE SPACE WITH ALUMINUM FOIL. Make sure that no light comes in so I suggest that you tape it on the camera with duck tape.
3. MAKE A SMALL HOLE INTO ALUMINUM FOIL. Use needle or paper clip. I suggest that you make the smallest hole possible – because you will have better focus if the hole will be super small!
4. THE HOLE SHOULD BE IN THE CENTER.
5. NOW YOU’RE READY TO TAKE PHOTOS! Play with camera settings and try different things. Make sure that object is really bright and expand your ISO.
Here are some self portraits I made with digital camera obscura. First two I tried with flash but I wasn’t too pleased with the result. Then I put the flash away and did other photos with ISO 800 and 1/15 s. Photos are original, I didn’t edit them. I love the “mystical effect”!